The Mossberg Maverick over/under is a handsome and practical shotgun for a modest price. Learn more about this over/under shotgun as you read on.
Mossberg Maverick Over/Under: Affordably Stylish Gun
I have a Beretta 690 Field III for quite some time now, however, I recently encountered a problem with its barrel selector. I had to get it fixed so I decided to shop for an inexpensive temporary replacement. I came across the Mossberg Maverick over/under (Hunter model) and gave it a try. Simple and affordable,so I purchased one. Get to know more about this beauty in this article.
The Mossberg Maverick over/under comes in two models: the Maverick Hunter Over/Under and the Maverick HS12 Thunder Ranch Over/Under. These shotguns are made in Turkey by Khan, perfect for home defense and bird hunting.
EDITOR'S SPECIAL: Click Here To Download Our FREE Halloween Practice Targets
Every Mossberg Maverick Over/Under is composed of a two-position, tang-mounted safety, which also doubles as a barrel selector. The HS12 model comes with accessories such as a receiver mounted top rail and a Picatinny-compatible optics. There’s also a raised optic sight, which is standard on every Maverick model.
- Barrel length: 18.5” (HS12 model); 28” (Hunter model)
- Overall length: 32.25” (HS12 model); 46” (Hunter model)
- Average weight: 6.25” (HS12 model); 7” (Hunter model)
- Sight: Rear slot/FO front (HS12 model); Front Bead (Hunter model)
- Stock: Synthetic black (both models)
- Barrel Finish: Matte blued (HS12 model); Matte blued barrels with embellished receiver (Hunter model)
- Chokes: Cylinder bore (HS12 model); IC & M (Hunter model)
- Gauge: 12 (both models)
- Capacity: 2 (both models)
- Length of pull: 14.25” (both models)
Ease of Use and Performance
The recoil of this O/U shotgun is not bad at all, especially if you use a low noise and low recoil loads. This beauty points quite nicely, in fact, it’s way better than some other pump action shotguns I’ve shot before. The Mossberg Maverick over/under has no ejectors since it’s an extractor gun. But this is not a bad thing at all since you can easily grab your fired shells from the receiver. Another thing I like about this gun is its weight. It's quite handy and the balance seems okay as well.
Pros and Cons
- Has interchangeable chokes
- The feel is great
- Simple and not too flashy design
- Easy to clean
- Heavy trigger – you need to get used to it
- Can’t use the barrel selector when you turn off safety
- No ejector
Overall Verdict and Price
Despite some few cons, I really like the Mossberg Maverick over/under (particularly the Hunter model). With the price ranging from $370 to $450, this tactical and home defense over/under is practically a steal!
Watch a test fire using the Mossberg Maverick over/under in this video:
With its modest price, I know for sure the Mossberg Maverick over/under is worth every cent! The light-weight feature makes it easy to carry around especially for hunts requiring long walks.
Do you own a Mossberg Maverick over/under? Share your stories with this beauty in the comments section below!
Looking for a sporting rifle instead? Check out this post about the Cimarron 1885 High Wall!
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in September 2015 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.