Deer hunting is a popular activity in the US – and with whitetail populations higher than ever before, we’re sure you’re chomping at the bit to get at it!
But deer hunting is gear-intensive.
It’s been a while since we last posted a whitetail hunting gear checklist, so we felt the time was ripe for an update.
Whether you’re about to embark on your first hunt ever or you’re a hunting veteran, you’ll want to make sure you have these 9 items in your hunting bag this season!
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Bans American Gun Association Group for Free Speech. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard. We Will Not Suppress Your Political Content! Join Today!
1. A Hunting Bag
Let’s start off with the most obvious – your hunting bag itself.
You have several different general options to choose from, each with their own set of advantages: frame packs, soft-sided packs, and fanny packs.
No matter what you choose, make sure you spend enough time perfecting your packing skills so you can reach everything quickly and efficiently when the time comes.
Recommendation: REEBOW GEAR Military Tactical Backpack
- Tactical assualt backpack Capacity: 34L. Size approx.:11"*18"*12" / 28*45.5*30CM (W*H*D), it's small backpack; Military backpack is made of high density fabric-durable and water-resistant.
- The assault pack with double-stitched, Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, Side and front load compression system, Comfortable padding back area, Ventilated mesh padding shoulder strap.
- Military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for 2.5L hydration bladder (backpack didn't include hydration bladder) as hydration back pack or outdoor camping hiking backpack school backpack.
However, at a close second to your shooting tools is a pair of good binoculars.
Ideally, you want a pair of binoculars that will help you spot deer you wouldn’t otherwise have noticed at 300 to 400 yards, without being so bulky you can’t pack or carry them comfortably.
Recommendation: Occer 12×25 Compact Binoculars
- 【HIGH-POWERED LARGE EYEPIECE BINOCULARS】 This binoculars has 12x magnification, 25mm objective lens and wide field of view, 273ft/1000yds, letting you look farther and see wider. Coating with FMC Broadband coating and premium BAK4 prism, it ensure imaging verisimilar.
- 【ADJUSTABLE EYE CUPS FIT EYEGLASS WEARERS OR NOT】The binocs can be pull down the rubber eyepieces and more fit the glasses wearer, getting close to lens and see easily. The long eye relief combined with large eyepiece give you a comfortable viewing while wearing sunglasses or eye glasses. For those who do not wear glasses, will gain more focused slight and feel more easeful through rising eye cups. The compact binoculars has 15mm large eyepieces, can see more clear image than other binoculars.
- 【FMC BROADBAND COATING TECHNOLOGY】The lightweight cruise binoculars is cover with BAK4 prism texture. The objective lens use optical FMC multilayer broadband green film, and the eyepiece-optical is made of blue FMC coating. All design ensure to provide a good image and make you have a amazing experience.
You’ll be surprised by just how much a rangefinder can boost your odds of bagging your next trophy. Make sure you get one that’s of the highest possible quality you can afford and you’ll find you’re landing more of your shots.
Recommendation: WOSPORTS 1000 Yards Hunting Rangefinder
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Innovative battery cover design, battery cover and range finder are inseparable. Don't worry about missing battery cover
- Hunting Rangefinder: 6x magnification, measure up to 700-1200 yards for Bow Hunting
- Influence Ranging capability: environment factors including sunshine intensity, the concentration of water vapor in the air and suspended particles, the deviation angle of the light (such as rain, fog, snow, fog, haze, etc.)
4. Game Calls
No matter what your tracking skills are like, having some game calls at hand will make it easier to flush whitetail deer out.
There are a wide variety of game calls available, including fawn bleats, doe bleats, buck grunts, and even antlers rattling.
If you’re just going to go with one type of game call, then opt for the buck grunts, which are the most versatile.
Recommendation: FOXPRO HammerJack American Made Electronic Predator Call
- Comes with 100 sounds, and 100 plus FREE sounds (300 sound capacity)
5. Scent Eliminators
If you already have odor-absorbing camouflage, then you might not even have to worry about this one.
But if you want to be absolutely sure (and have some space in your hunting bag), then a spray can of scent eliminating product will be your best friend.
Recommendation: PhaZe Body Odor System
- TESTED AND PROVEN - Works in all weather conditions and lasts up to 10 years!
On the flip-side of the scent coin is a good attractant. Despite most using real deer urine, they tend to work like a charm by replacing your own scent with one your prey will want to investigate.
Recommendation: Pure Whitetail Bachelor Group Buck Urine
- 100% PURE AND FRESH: Pure Whitetail’s Bachelor Group Buck Urine is 100% pure and collected from multiple bucks from Pure Whitetail’s own deer herd. Collected fresh, filtered, bottled and shipped directly to you. Our scent is never frozen and is not held over from the prior season. No additives or preservatives ensures your bottle contains the freshest, strongest scent available.
- EARLY SEASON USE: Use early season in mock scrapes and on overhanging licking branches with Pure Whitetail’s flexible scent wick (Flex Wick) as an attractant and calming scent. Set up trail cameras on scrapes to inventory your herd and watch antler growth and development. Create a habit forming travel pattern while bucks are in bachelor groups and help them become familiar with the bucks you have introduced to the area. Use as a cover scent as you check trail cameras and hunt early season.
- MID/LATE SEASON USE: During the pre-rut and rut, continue using in scrapes, on Flex Wicks and on drags, such as Pure Whitetail’s Last Track as bucks become territorial and establish dominance. Bucks will come seeking for the intruder encroaching on their does and territory.
7. Camouflage Netting
Well, you’ve got the scent eliminators and the attractant taking care of the whitetail deer’s keen sense of smell… now you need to cover your bases when it comes to their eyesight too.
Never estimate the worth of camouflage, especially when you pair your apparel with a good camouflage net.
Recommendation: Ginsco Woodland Camouflage Netting
- Material: Polyester Oxford Fabric. Lightweight, quick drying .Waterproof, rot and mould resistant. Treated for eliminate shine or glare.
- Treated for eliminate shine or glare.
- Ideal For Garden Screening, Events & Parties, Home Decoration, Kids Bedrooms, Military activities,decoration,hunting,paintball games,sunshade,Fishing, Shooting, Photography, Film Sets, Nightclubs, Kids Play Dens, Tree Houses,etc.
8. Hand Warmers
Now that you’ve got just about everything else sorted, it’s time to make sure you don’t lose precision due to the cold seasonal weather.
Chemical hand warmers tend to be inexpensive, but work like a charm.
Recommendation: Tundras Hand Warmers
- LONG-LASTING HEAT: Keep your hands toasty when it’s cold outside with up to 11 hours of heat. Use them in your gloves or pockets and instantly feel soothing warmth. Premium quality, Each Box Contains 20 2-packs, 40 Warmers Total
- EASY TO ACTIVATE: Warmth is at your fingertips with these ready to use warmers. Receiving some instant warmth is easy because they’re air activated and heat up and reheating is simple, just expose to air and shake.
- CONVENIENT & PORTABLE: These single use heat packs are great for traveling and they’re TSA approved. Each packet is compact and contains two warming pouches. Conveniently store them in your car, backpack, luggage or coat pockets.
9. Weapons Hanger
This might not be a strict necessity – and it’s a bit of a cheat entry in that it probably won’t fit in your hunting bag – but a good portable gun or bow hanger can make all the difference in the world.
With something there to properly hold your weapon, you’re less likely to make awkward noises while switching between your range finder and firearm.
Recommendation: Hold Up Displays Portable Gun Rack and Bow Holder
- UNLIKE THE “TYPICAL” GUN RACK OF UNKNOWN origin and quality that potentially puts your guns like Remington, Winchester, Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory in “life threatening” danger, the HOLD UP DISPLAYS GUN STANDS are CERTIFIED 100% MADE IN USA with REAL AMERICAN STEEL and backed by a LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY, all that to provide maximum structural integrity and safety, so no matter if you are shooting your guns or not, they are always in the “right hands”
- GUNS ARE MEANT TO HAVE PROPER STORAGE – While safer when transported inside a case along with your lubricating oil, safety ear muffs, ammo, magazine and other tactical gear, guns are also practically “meant” to be displayed for your enjoyment even when you are not shooting, the HOLD UP DISPLAYS GUN HANGERS will turn your gun into a piece of “Art” while keeping it safe and sound
- SHOOTING RANGE ACCESSORY– Great for all Rifles, Shotguns, and Bows; This FREE STANDING accessory keeps guns organized and safely displayed at the gun range, so you can spend more time shooting; protective black durable powder coating gently and securely supports the firearm, unlike non powder coated metal gun wall mounts that can leave scratches on your firearm