Having your gun accessories fitted correctly and your sights on your firearm zeroed-in can be the difference between a tight or a wide group. This also goes for if you are in a situation where you need to defend yourself or a loved one in a matter of life and death. I know that may seem a bit extreme but it is always best to be prepared for any possible situation. This is why we want to give you this gun sight trick so that you will always have your sights zeroed in and ready to go under any circumstance. Here we explain how to co-witness with the help of aligning iron sights with your sights.
Tips for Gun Sights | Co-Witnessing Your Sights
Co-witnessing your sights is a way to simplify aiming and simplify zeroing your firearm. You just need to zero your iron sights or your red dot, one or the other, and go from there. This is a technique to simplify your aiming, not complicate it.
What is co-witnessing?
Co-witnessing is how a red dot aligns with iron sights to zero in your sights. I would recommend learning to use both sights as having a red dot sight or EOTech is a luxury. There is always the chance for them to break or run out of power while at the range or in the field.
- Material: high strength aluminum; Obj. aperture: 33mm; Magnification:1x; Power of the gun sight laser:2mW; Class of the laser: ClassIIIA
- Special 2 in 1 design: Built with the red sight laser and dual illuminated reflex sight with four reticle types, it will help you aim and shoot accurately
- Tubeless design with 33mm reflex lens aperture provides a wide field of view, suitable for rapid-firing or shooting of moving targets besides normal shooting
How do you do this? You head to your preferred range with your zeroed in iron sights and you mount your dot sight and bolt it on. Since you just put it on, your dot will probably be off. All you need to do is leave the iron sights up and adjust the dot until it is sitting right on top of the front sight. Like an apple on a fence post. Now the dot sight is zeroed.
What types of co-witnessing are there?
Courtesy of ProGunFighter
Some people like to have an absolute co-witness which is where everything lines up when looking down sights. Others prefer to have what is called the Lower 1/3 co-witness where the iron sights only take up 1/3 of the bottom of your red dot or EOTech sights.
- Screen Size: 22mmx33mm;Weight: 130g; Length: 82mm
- Reflex Sight Reticle Type: Circle Dot, Cross, 10 MOA & 3 MOA(Red and green illuminated)
- 4 reticle patterns offer unlimited eye-relief and corrected parallax
Do I use both sights at the same time?
If you don’t have foldable iron sights you will always have the red dot lined up with your front sight. If you do have foldable iron sights you simply put them down and continue using your firearm. I prefer using the absolute co-witness as I have foldable iron sights but many who don’t have foldable sights like to use the lower 1/3 co-witness.
What if I get new iron sights?
If you end up changing your rear sight you do not have to head back to the range to zero it in. Simply adjust your rear sight to where the red dot is on the top of the front sight again. That’s it, and your sights are all zeroed in again and you didn’t have to go to the range.
- Magnification: 2.5-10x; Power of the gun sight laser:2mW; Class of the laser: Class IIIA
- Made of high strength aircraft aluminum, the scope is durable.
- Field Of View:100 yards of 32.5' @ 2.5x - 8.9' @10x
You can also check out the full video on Co-Witnessing – How electronic and iron sights work together
Did you enjoy these tips for gun sights? Let us know in the comments section below what your thoughts are on this gun sight tip. Do you have any other gun topics you’d like to share? Share it with us and we’ll check it out. We are highly interested in anything firearms and want to share and inform you with the latest and best information. That’s why we created this site, we want people to be more in touch with quality firearms information so that you can arm and defend yourself effectively in any situation. We would love to hear what you think and stay connected with us.
- Two mounts: Picatinny-Weaver Rail Mount and Shotgun Barrel Clamp Mount. The barrel clamp mount fits 1 inch diameter 12 Gauge shotgun
- Long Distance Green Dot Laser Sight: Dot laser daylight as 30-100 meters, can be reach 3000 meters at night
- Made of best aluminium alloy, tube diameter: 1'' Laser Wavelength: 532nm. Weight:410g